Tuesday 12 October 2010

Mercedes saves the day!

In my last post I mentioned that Mr. P said if the girls didn't lay before Saturday, then they were for the pot.




Well on that very day of my last posting, I got my first egg. A teeny, tiny perfect little egg.



That's a 10p next to it, so you can see just how tiny it is.

I knew something was up, as Margery and Millicent kept going in and out of the henhouse and Mercedes was nowhere to be seen. This is the first time I've seen the girls use the henhouse during the day, even in the pouring rain they don't go inside. I sat watching them and waited for Mercedes to emerge and then went tearing up the garden and there it was, in all it's teeny wonderfulness.

In my case it certainly was a case of 'tiny things please tiny minds'. I was so excited.

Thursday saw another, just as perfect as the first, but ever so slightly bigger.




So Thursday's lunch


Mr. P enquired as to why I didn't have boiled eggs as he knows that they are my favourites. My response being, that I didn't know how long to boil them for as I don't like snotty or hard eggs and I didn't want my first eggs to be ruined. Mr. P always having a witty reply - "well given their very smallness, you could of just run them under the hot tap"!

So, including today, Mercedes has now given me 7 eggs and I feel the same excitement every time I see an egg waiting for me. Each day they get bigger, so boiled eggs are on the lunch menu today.



Well done Mercedes. Millicent and Margery best hurry up before Mr. P starts to get on their case.

Jak x

9 comments:

  1. Well done Mercedes !!! It's so thrilling isn't it finding that first egg ? My girls make a big song & dance about laying - very vocal
    " Look what I've done Mummy " !!!
    They never go into the hen house when it's raining - huddle under a bush or under the trampoline looking very bedraggled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it not just like finding "gold" when you find a newly laid egg? That is still how I feel, well into my seventh year as a henkeeper. And hens are just the lovelies animals, far more clever than what we give them credit for, don´t you think?

    Thank you for your sweet comment in regards to my blog´s 4th anniversary. Your kind words are truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first egg!
    How wonderful.
    I love these photos Jak, thanks for stopping by and you are most welcome!
    Hugs Suex

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Christmas to you also Jak and family!
    Have a great time!
    hugs suex

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY NEW YEAR Jak !!!

    thank you so much for following my Blog. It means so much to me xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos of your hens and a wonderful story to tell also. So glad that the girls did not end up in the pot! You have a lovely blog. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations on the first eggs. I'm so pleased you have rare breed chooks, it helps the breeds survive when us backyarders buy them and not the little brown hens bred for the poultry industry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After several years of hen keeping I still get a little thrill when I lift up the hen house flap and there is eggy treasure inside.
    Loving the summer blanket too!

    ReplyDelete