Tuesday 5 January 2010

Happy 2010 and here goes!

Well, this is my very first posting to my blog. I have only just got into blog-world and have been so wonderfully surprised and honoured to have a peep into other people's lives and to have it so beautifully photographed. I suppose, in this day and age, that not many of us have the time or energy to be more involved with our neighbours or community, so the blogging world is a great place to find like minded people and read all about them.

You are warmly invited to a cup of tea (a.m.) or a glass of wine (p.m.) and if you're sitting comfortably, then I will begin.

Just need to work out Facebook, Flickr and so on and so forth!

Its so difficult to know what to talk about first. A recent, project, I think.

I recently purchased a very old Lloyd Loom blanket box, as storage of bedding, towels, etc., was becoming a real headache. I had been after one for absolutely ages.

I purchased it off eBay for a fiver and nearly fainted with delight when I won the auction. Collection of it was a whole different story.

I had to travel to a little village on the Dover side of Canterbury. A very pretty village, but the seller seemed very elderly and his directions were impossible. We travelled up hill and down dale, asked loads of locals which just sent us further into a deserted countryside, occupied only by wooden houses (like great big sheds really) and I was not about to knock on anyone's door.

Eventually we happened upon some sort of residential establishment. Some of the residents were sitting outside smoking and I was led into a kitchen, by the hands, whereby a kindly member of staff lent me his mobile phone (mine was dead, as usual - another story) to ring the seller. By this time I really felt that I was in 'Deliverence Country' and I could have sworn that I heard banjos playing!!!!

Eventually, up some farm track (with the underside of my car bashing against the ground) we were met by a man waving furiously at us. He was not elderly (but sounded so), probably about my age I suppose, who promptly loaded up said Lloyd Loom into my car and wanted to the chew the fat awhile. I wanted to escape as soon as possible, as the banjos seemed to be getting louder and louder. It was so surreal and I was so glad that I had the twin brother with me.

At this point I was going to show you some photos of the Lloyd Loom in all its disgusting bad taste - but I can't find them anywhere (blimey, I can hear those banjos again). Just to say that it was painted in a 'Colmans' english mustard shade, but the back was still the original pink colour and the seat (well the first layer anyway) was dark brown with cream spots.

Pictures of the finished item tomorrow.


And, Mr. P's comment - well it cannot be repeated in polite company!

Jak

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your lovely new blog. Will your background change with the seasons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello - congrats on your blog. My mum and dad had an old Lloyd Loom linen basket when I was little and when I left home mum let me have it. It stayed its original pale pink for a very, very long time but when we moved to Lincs 3 years ago I finally decided to paint it white and gave it a new brown moleskin seat cover. I think, if I hadn't done this, the basket would have disappeared out with the rubbish by hubby, he couldn't stand it in it's old state (and still isn't keen on it now). Piece of history if you ask me!! Elaine, Ellie's Treasures.

    ReplyDelete